My HG Lipgloss: Sally Hansen Luminous Lipgloss

Thursday, October 13, 2011

7 comments
Behold, my Holy Grail of lipglosses. This is the ultimate HG (Holy Grail, if you haven't figured yet), and no other lipgloss inspires such rabid love from me. It's not drying, it's gorgeously pigmented, just the right finish, and cheap to boot! It's my go-to when I don't know what to use, and it's also the one gloss I reach for when I'm having one of those no-brainer days. This has been my favourite lipgloss, because it goes with every look I can come up with. Want to know what it is?


Ta-da! None other than the humble Sally Hansen Smile Brightening Lip Treatment in the shade Luminous. Although it claims to be a lip treatment, it's really more of a lipgloss than anything else. And it also claims to make your teeth look whiter, but I'm kind of meh on that claim (my thoughts are it sort-of-does, but only because the colour range consists of of cool-toned, blue-leaning shades to visually make your teeth look whiter). But despite all the marketing schtick, and despite the humble packaging and doe-foot applicator, it's the most perfect lipgloss I've ever come across in my entire life. I first bought it on a whim on a Walgreens trip for groceries (funny how I go in for greens and come out with makeup), and since then I've never strayed.

Oh Sally Hansen Luminous, how do I love thee, let me count the ways! Well first, the pigmentation is excellent. Although it's a gloss, it's possibly one of the most opaque glosses I've seen in my years of makeup lovin'. One other reviewer called it almost like a liquid lipstick, and I think I agree. Just take a look at that pigment!

sally hansen luminous lipgloss swatch


Secondly, the colour of Luminous is excellent. It's the perfect shade of neutral-pinky-brown, which is pretty much a very universal colour. And it's also not too dark or too light, making it suitable for most skin depths. Also, being a neutral-toned shade, it would suit both warm and cool-toned girls. This really is a shade that would look good on anyone, and could go with any outfit or any makeup look, serious!

Thirdly, the finish of Luminous is just perfect for me. I personally hate lipglosses with big annoying bits of glitter, or are too sticky, or are too drying on my lips. Fortunately, Sally Hansen Luminous is all of these things. The only complaint I have is that the Smile Brightening Lip Treatment range has a minty feel and smell which stings my lips when they are peeling and sensitive. And I'm not a fan of the smell, either. But I'm more than willing to put up with it because it's just so perfect otherwise.

sally hansen luminous lipgloss lip swatch


Now that I've raved on and on about the Sally Hansen lipgloss in Luminous, what's the other side of the coin? Well, other than the minty smell and tingling feel, I have one HUGE complaint to make about this lipgloss - it's DISCONTINUED. *Cue wailing and screaming* Yes, Sally, why on earth did you do this to me? What have I ever done to you to make you hate me so much? I've bought your nail polishes, I used your lipgloss, I even tried your nail polish remover - why? Why? Of all the products to discontinue, why my HG lipgloss?

Anyway, yes, I believe the Sally Hansen Smile Brightening Lip Treatment range has been discontinued for awhile now (possibly a year or two?). Back then, when I was still living in Chicago, when I found out it was going to be discontinued, I systematically went from one Walgreens to another, and one QVC to another, hunting down all the unopened tubes of Luminous still lying around. Unfortunately others must have caught on, because I only have two - *gasp* ONLY two backups.

sally hansen luminous lipgloss 2


To be honest, I have no idea what is going to happen when my last tube of Sally Hansen Luminous runs out. I think I'm going to cry for days, LOL! I haven't found any shade that's quite like it (I think Bobbi Brown's Brown lipgloss is a similar colour, but it's just so much more pricey), and I haven't found a replacement for it. Of course, I have a gazillion other lipglosses and life will go on, but oh, how I will miss Luminous when it's gone.

7 comments:

  1. :( Such a sad story, of discontinued products and long lost loves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! Who'd have thought! This looks glorious on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you looked on ebay? :)

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sally-Hansen-smile-brightening-lip-gloss-luminous-3pc-/380232508776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58879fa568#ht_1432wt_1024

    not affiliated but I thought you might like to see that listing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used Sally Hansen lip glosses. I can say that I am totally satisfied with that product. All of the shades are really awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice shade!!! i didnt know sally hansen have lip products!

    http://ilovemakeup68.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a sucker for great packaging, and this one is so cute! Love the shade as well!

    http://glitzglambudget.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read each and every single comment! If you ask a question in your comment, please check back to this post, as I will reply in a comment to this post as well :) Please note that comments with soliciting links to shops or websites will be removed. Thanks!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...